Saturday, July 28, 2007

Happy Birthday Grant Nicholas!!

Five?!? Really?? Yep. Five. Half a decade. It's hard to believe. Today is Grant's fifth birthday. When I think back to the day he was born it still seems like yesterday. I can still remember every detail and how wonderful it felt to hold him for the first time. He was the most amazing little thing I had ever seen. When I think about much he has taught me and how much I have grown through being his mother, I can hardly remember what life was like pre-Grant.

We celebrated Grant's birthday last week so his birthday didn't get lost in our move. We had a very low-key celebration because that's how Grant likes it.

I think Grant enjoyed opening presents this year more than any other. In the past the present opening part of our celebration was a bit overwhelming for Grant, so this year we spread the present opening over a span of about 12 hours. He enjoyed the stream of gifts and had time to enjoy each one before moving on to the next.

Grant was very proud of the five candle on his cake. Upon his request Grant and I made a special trip to the store to pick up the five candle. Grant also enjoyed putting the sprinkles on his own cake.

Continuing with tradition, in honor of Grant on his birthday, here are ten things I love about five year old Grant:

1. Grant has a gentle and loving spirit. Grant is kind to others, and he is attracted to other children who are gentle and kind.

2. Grant is becoming quite the story teller. He enjoys telling us stories about the imaginary "Number House" and his his adventures with his number friends who live there.

3. Grant loves the Gaither Vocal Band. One of his favorite ways to relax is to watch a Gaither Homecoming video.

4. Grant finds joy and beauty in little things: numbers, water, rocks, songs, bubbles, a warm bath, a hug, holding hands.

5. Grant loves his family. Grant's favorite place to be is with his people.

6. Grant is smart as a whip. He can read, spell, and do math. He enjoys learning state capitals and the names of the past presidents of the United States. The other day he explained to me that the roots of plants absorb water and the plant carries the water up to its leaves. Smart kid.

7. Grant loves being outside. He enjoys digging in the dirt and playing with the rocks, sticks, and other treasures he finds outside.

8. Grant loves to cook and bake. His favorite thing to bake is bread . . . he loves spreading the flour on the counter and kneading the dough.

9. Grant enjoys learning Bible verses. I am thankful that Grant is attracted to the things of God. Truth be told, sometimes he likes to make up his own, but honestly, don't we all do that from time to time!

10. Grant's eyes and smile melt my heart.

No comments: