Today we are celebrating Grant's nineth birthday. I've been a mom for nine years, and somehow that feels like a lifetime and a blink all at the same time. What a journey the past nine years have been! Being this kid's mom has been both fun and intense. And I've learned a lot. I am a better person because I'm Grant's mom. So, here's my list of ten things I love about Grant at nine years old.
1. Grant knows every word of the national anthem of the United States...and Canada...and Japan...and Greece...and Austria. Of course we have to take his word for it that he singing the correct words for the non-English songs, but when it comes to Grant's ability to memorize things is amazing, so I don't doubt it. And speaking of memory, he knows a crazy lot about the history of the Olympic games including where and what year all of the summer and winter games occurred and significant medal winners in each of the games.
2. Grant loves to cook, and he is quite good at it. He finds chopping, slicing, mixing, and grinding to be very soothing. He is also self-aware enough to know how calming cooking activities are for him and will ask to cook when he is feeling stressed.
3. Grant has made a name for himself at his school. I'm starting a new job at Grant's school in a few weeks, and as I've been to some early meetings I've been introduced many times as "This is Sheryl Ferguson, you know, Grant's mom." Invariably that is followed by, "Oh, I love Grant!" Me too.
4. Look how far we've made it. We have been on quite a journey with Grant, and this year I've been very conscious of just how far we've come. I've had some pretty wonderful conversations with Grant this year. I remember the days when I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to have a real conversation with him. Thinking back on how hard we all worked to get where we are today has made each of the conversations I've had with him in the past year all the more precious to me. So proud of that kid and can't wait to see where we are next year.
5. Grant is very generous and sees no reason not to share everything he has. Earlier this year Grant and Travis went to a Jewell basketball game that was downtown. After the game they were walking back to the car and a homeless man named Curtis stopped them. Curtis was friendly, talked with them a bit, and gave Grant a beaded necklace. As Grant and Travis went on their way, they talked about Curtis. After some questions from Grant, Travis explained that Curtis probably does not have a home. Grant's immediate response was "Well, he could come live with us. We have room." How humbling it is to have to explain to the kid why that simple solution couldn't happen. I am proud to have a kid who can look past Curtis's appearance and want to share what we have to help him.
6. Grant is a big thinker. If Travis or I comes up with an idea of something to do, Grant takes it up about 10 levels suggesting a much more spectacular idea. He asks things like "When can we go to Sydney, Austrailia?" the way that most kids ask when they can go to the park. While it's true that fielding these questions can be a little exhausting (I don't know, Grant, let me check the calendar and get back with you on when we can buy a yacht and sail to New Zealand), I have a feeling that Grant is going to do some pretty extraordinary things in his life simply because he thinks he can. (Though I will admit that I hope he never gets his own credit card.)
7. Grant prefers experiences to things. Given the choice between doing something and getting something, he'll pick doing something every time. He is a kid who wants to see the world. I appreciate his desire to get out there and see all that there is to be seen.
8. Grant is very civic minded. He often says he wants to go to city hall to help the mayor. He also can't understand why people don't just do the right thing whether that is standing up for the the national anthem, following the speed limit, or volunteering whereever they can.
9. Grant is sweet in an old fashioned kind of way. His manner of speaking is most often very polite and sprinkled with phrases like "Why of course you can" and "Well, certainly". Last week Grant and Travis took a guys' trip to St. Louis. While they were gone Grant called me a couple of times to tell me he loved me, and on the way home, he insisted on stopping to get me some flowers.
10. Grant has never met a stranger. He will talk to anyone. Anyone. While this makes his introverted mother anxious (hello, stranger danger), a friend of mine recently commented that she thinks Grant will probably have some pretty amazing experiences and relationships in life because of his willingness to engage with the people that he comes across. Probably true.
Happy birthday, Grant! I'm glad you are mine.
1 comment:
I don't believe he is 9 for a minute. Sigh...it has been too long.
Post a Comment