We're a week and a half into Grant's new school year and I'm happy to report that we have survived re-entry! While we're all sad to see summer go, there is a sense of comfort and security that the school year brings. This is particularly true for Grant. The last couple of weeks of summer are always among the most difficult for us of the entire year. While Grant loves the routine that the school year brings, anticipating the transition from summer to school year is very difficult for him and tends to result in much anxiety, hyperactivity, and a general lack of connectivity to those around him. Add parents experiencing some degree of stress about going back to work after having the summer off, and you've got a volatile mix. The one good thing is that after six years of dreading/enduring the last weeks of summer, we kind of know what to expect and that it will get better once school starts. None the less, when I say that we've survived re-entry, it's no small thing.
As usual, Grant has made the actual transition back into school quite well. Last spring we had a big decision to make in regards to Grant's schooling this year. I'll spare you a lengthy explanation and just give you the short of it: we decided to do another year of kindergarten so that Grant would have a chance to narrow the gap in terms of age and developmental maturity between himself and his peers. It was a tough decision, but we decided that though he was excelling academically, we are in no rush for him to grow up and would rather have him at the older end of his peer group. We are fortunate to be in a school where they are willing to think outside the box and are confident that he will still be challenged and engaged academically.
So far we are quite happy with Grant's new teacher. She seems very excited to have Grant in her class and is on the same page as we are about having high expectations for him. I was very excited on the kindergarten parents' night before school started to see three other moms that I know in the room. All three have boys in Grant's class, and while I don't know the individual boys very well, I am thrilled to know that at least three boys who will be around Grant everyday have wonderful moms! I am confident that these great moms have great boys, so I couldn't be happier. Reports for Grant's first days back at school are that Grant is stepping up his independence at school and that he has found a new love for drawing and coloring. It is pretty amazing to compare the artwork he has brought home in the last week with the artwork that he brought home this time last year. He's come a long way!
The picture above is from Grant's first day back at school. The funny story accompanying the picture is that though in the picture Grant is ready to walk out the door, that is not the shirt that he actually ended up wearing for the first day . . . darn that last trip to the potty before walking out the door when you're a boy with a long shirt. Yeah, we had to change shirts right before walking out the door.
As for Sophia, she was thrilled to get back to school. Honestly, I think that while Sophia definitely enjoyed the family time, home was a little boring for her. She's a social butterfly and loves having her little school friends to play with all day everyday. Sophia is in a new classroom at school this year, and she is quite pleased that her new room has "princess shoes" for her to wear. What more could a girl want?
Sophia has a new skill that may be one of the cutest things I have seen in a long time. She can wink. I'm not exactly sure how she learned to do it, but she cocks her head to the side, winks, and clicks her tongue. A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!! Seriously, I've probably asked her to do it a thousand times.
Cute Sophia story: the other night we were all watching the moving "The Fox and the Hound" (Thank you Brandon and Misty). At the part where Todd, the fox, is left alone in the forest, Sophia turned to me and said, "Don't worry Mommy, God will protect Todd." Out of the mouths of babes . . .
Travis and I have of course headed back to school as well. Of course writing about our first days back to school doesn't seem nearly as interesting as our kids'. Although . . . Travis is teaching in Liberty this year at the middle school that is less than a mile from our house. He really likes his new school and district. Not going to lie, when he talks about his job, I get a little jealous. The grass may just be a little greener though.
No comments:
Post a Comment