Grant's creation of a sanctuary was not a surprise to us. As many of you know Grant is probably the biggest (and only) fan of the Gaither Vocal Band under the age of 55. For those of you who aren't familiar, the Gaithers are a southern gospel group, led by Bill Gaither, that travels around the country and world putting on "Homecoming" concerts with dozens of other Christian singers. For about the last two or three years Grant has been a fan and has watched videos of each of the "Homecoming" concert dozens of times. Yes, it's odd, but seriously, there are many worse things for a kid to get hooked on.
Lately Grant has also taken an interest in Christian preacher shows such as Love Worth Finding and The Encouraging Word. He will often ask for a "grown-up, unedited Holy Bible" (rather than his Children's Bible) to use to practice his preaching. It is so funny to hear a six year old say, "Turn with me to Leviticus 22, if you will . . . " Again, odd, but there are worse things.
Regardless, when Grant pretends to be a preacher and transforms our living room into a sanctuary, we are not surprised. What does surprise me are the things that Grant teaches me as I watch him live out his fascination with religiosity and his growing faith.
One of the big things that I came to understand in college and seminary is that many people experience and understand God differently than I do, and that's ok. Grant is reinforcing this reality for me. I have been fascinated over the last few months by Grant's budding theology. He loves to memorize scripture more that I ever have and often applies this knowledge to life situations in ways that humble me. There are ways in which his faith is childlike, innocent, and beautiful. There are also aspects of his faith that baffle me and make me eager to see how it will play out as he grows up. Though he is drawn to the Gaithers and very traditional (conservative!) television preachers, the ideas that these people present are in many ways quite terrifying to Grant. Grant is a very literal thinker and the images and metaphors they present are often difficult for Grant to translate.
Take Heaven, for example. I can remember as a child hearing descriptions of Heaven and knowing without a doubt that I wanted to go there. Not so with Grant. The idea of Heaven, despite my many attempts to make it sound appealing, is TERRIFYING to Grant. Really. His fear has nothing to do with death. It genuinely bothers him that Heaven is not on earth. Remember he's a very literal thinker, and humans are supposed to live on earth. They can't survive, even with God, outside of earth's oxygen and nutrient rich environment. . . Don't even think about telling him that one day his spirit will be separate from his body! This would be very disturbing.
So, I am being stretched and reminded that it is not heaven that we are after but life with God. We now talk with Grant, not so much about Heaven, but about living with Jesus. What a great reminder to live out Jesus' teaching that the Kingdom of God is among you rather than a destination.
Another image that is often used by Grant's religious hero's is that of the old self and the new self. Again this is quite concerning for my literal thinker. A few months ago as we were leaving church, Grant told me in an almost panicked voice, "Mom, I don't want too heads." I questioned him to find out what in the world he was talking about. It turns out that Grant's Sunday school lesson that day had been about Jesus' baptism. His teachers (who are AMAZING!) talked with children about the meaning of baptism and the beginning of a new journey, a new self that baptism represents. This metaphor was more than Grant could take--he likes who he is and does not want to lose himself, nor does he want to grow another self! He does not "want two heads"!!
This is all very humbling to me. I thought I was well equipped to nurture my children's spiritual development. Then I find myself struggling to translate spiritual images and metaphors into language that suites a literal mind. I find myself describing Heaven to my son and scaring the heck out of him! Humbling. Last Christmas I was drawn to Mary the mother of Jesus more than ever before. Last year was a year of big changes for Grant, so at Christmas I found myself praying that my little boy would come to know and understand Mary's little boy. I am so thankful that God has given Grant a curiosity for godly things. I trust that God will nurture that curiosity.
It is my prayer that Grant really does find sanctuary in our home. I pray that our home is always a place where he feels safe and loved and free to ask questions about God. Most of all my prayer is that Grant comes to fully believe and experience the truth that "God is deffently with us." That banner is still hanging in our living room. It is a good reminder.
1 comment:
I love it! :)
Post a Comment