Friday, December 11, 2009

The Quad is Lit: Welcome Christmas

The Christmas season begins for the Ferguson family with the Lighting of the Quad at William Jewell. Truly one of my favorite nights of the year. The tradition is becoming more fun each year as our children are now old enough to remember the night from previous years. I am glad that this night of music, friends, glow sticks and candles, Santa and candy canes is something Grant and Sophia eagerly anticipate as much as Travis and I do.

This year Grant gave us a good laugh on the way to the Lighting of the Quad. Each year two of my old co-workers make an appearance as Santa and an Elf. The kids have always enjoyed visiting with a Santa and Elf who know their names and a little about them. So this year in the car Grant was apparently thinking of that visit last year when he said, "Will Santa and . . ." Pause. "Will Santa and his . . ." Pause. (Apparently struggling to find the word "Elf".) "Will Santa and his little boyfriend be there this year?" I could not make this stuff up.

Here are some pictures our night:

Grant is a huge fan of Christmas carols. He loves, loves, loves them. Grant thoroughly enjoyed listening to the band play, and then was thrilled to sing several of his favorite songs. He also chose to conduct for some friends sitting behind us.

Girlfriends and glow sticks on the Quad. What more could a girl want?

Sophia and Santa . . . the request this year was a "Cake Bakery".

Grant and Santa . . . Grant's request was just some candy.

With the Quad lit, the Ferguson tree went up (not actually on the same night).

We really should have taken this picture after the tree was fully decorated. I think this year's tree may be one of our prettiest!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just laughed out loud at the boyfriend comment! I love it!!
becca

Brandon, Misty, Kyla and Casey said...

That's our boy! Santa and his boyfriend...classic. :) Love the pic of you and Soph. Cannot wait to see you all next week!!!

Unknown said...

I love the boyfriend comment-glad to know that you have an open-minded and accepting son! Kristin

TheCarlsonCrew said...

Oh, my...how children put things into words! I LOVE IT! I will never look at an elf the same way again!

Happy anniversary, too. I remember attending your wedding just a couple weeks before having ours...seems impossible that it's been 10 years. :)