Friday, August 06, 2010

There's more to the story . . .

So in my last post I wrote about Grant's encounter with a soldier in Orlando. Well, the story continues. While I risk just sounding like I'm bragging about my kid's remarkable patriotism, the story is so sweet that I have to write about it because it's something I want to remember.

After that last post Brandon sent Grant a message saying that hearing about Grant thanking that soldier made Brandon's day. Grant liked that.

Two days ago Grant and I were at Target, and Grant saw another soldier in uniform. He again walked over to the guy with his hand outstretched for a handshake and told him, "Excuse me. I really want to thank you for everything you do for our country." The soldier was clearly caught off guard but managed to shake Grant's hand and say "Thank you." As Grant walked away the soldier called after him, "Hey buddy, come here." Grant turned around and walked back to the guy. The soldier pulled the American flag patch off of his uniform, handed it to Grant, and said, "This patch went all the way to Iraq and back with me, and I want you to have it." Grant proudly stuck that flag to his shirt.

As Grant and I walked away, I was commenting to Grant about how special it was to have that flag patch. Grant thought for a moment and then said, "Yeah. I just hope I made Uncle Brandon's day again."

No comments: