Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not too late to celebrate...

So I have my tradition of making a list of 10 things I love about my kid on his or her birthday. I am so late in posting this for Grant's birthday that I was tempted to give up. If I weren't seven months pregnant, working full time, and still a pretty good mom, I'd feel a little bad about it. While this "what I love about eight year old Grant" post may be a bit tardy, we certainly celebrated our boy. When anticipating his birthday, Grant was most excited about one thing: not having to use a booster seat in the car anymore. He was a happy kid on the morning of his birthday when we went for a ride sans booster seat. Honestly, that might have been a bigger deal for him than his party was!

Here is my late, though no less heartfelt, list of this I love about eight year old Grant:

1. Grant is one of the most generous kids I know. He is constantly thinking of things he'd like to give away to various people or things he'd like to do to make others happy. It is also a rare day when Sophia asks for something of his and he doesn't say yes.

2. Grant wants so badly to be grown up. He has always seemed in many ways more like a little adult than a kid, but at eight years old, Grant really does want to be more grown up. He works hard to be more independent and becomes quite frustrated when he's reminded that he is still a kid. While his attempts to claim maturity and privileges beyond his years can be tiresome, I admire his tenacity and willingness to stick up for himself. Grant's wisdom does often surpass his age. In one of my less proud parenting moments I tried to use Grant's desire to be grown up against him, telling him as he was crying that he needed to "act like an eight year old". My tearful Grant reminded me, "Mom, even eight year olds cry sometimes." Broke. My. Heart.

3. Grant calls me "Sweetheart". Slightly odd, yes, but the truth is that he could probably have any request granted when he throws a "Sweetheart" at the end of it. When Grant says, "I love you, Sweetheart" my heart melts.

4. One of Grant's signature strengths is surely that he is a learner. He is so curious, asking many, many questions. While this, too, can be tiresome, I am amazed both at his capacity for knowledge and his persistence in seeking out information (you can imagine the conversations we've had about just how this baby is going to get out of my belly!). Interestingly, one of Grant's favorite shows right now is Jeopardy. He loves to be quizzed on "Jeopardy questions". The other day I was quizzing Grant and asked him a typical second grader type question. He did a long, drawn out sigh and said, "Mom, ask me a tricky one, please." Grant's current party trick knowledge areas include knowledge of the capitals of many, many countries and knowing what year most states joined the union.

5. In a world where people don't say enough nice things to or about one another, Grant does. He is gifted at giving compliments. Whether it's thanking a soldier for his or her service or congratulating a friend on a nice drawing, Grant is a natural at telling people the nice things he thinks about them.

6. While Sophia may argue this point, Grant is a great big brother. Sure he has become quite skilled at teasing, even tormenting at times, his little sister, he is also very generous and caring towards her. (And as a little sister myself, I can attest to the important life skills that big brothers bestow through their torment.) This past summer will go down in the books as the summer that Grant and Sophia became good friends. With a new little sister on the way, Grant has demonstrated his nurturing qualities. From the very beginning, Grant has referred to his new little sister as "Our Baby". One evening, Grant ran into my room where I was taking a nap and said, "Excuse me, Mom. I need to ask our baby something." He got right up to my belly and said, "Baby, would you like Mexican for dinner?", then ran out of the room shouting, "Dad, the baby wants Mexican!!" Apparently, Travis had told Grant we were going to have a family vote on dinner options.

7. Watching Grant mature spiritually is both amazing and humbling. He asks great questions, has a pure and simple faith, and knows scripture better than I do (humbling, yes). I love, love, love to hear Grant pray. Out of the mouths of babes . . .

8. Grant is creative. His loves to draw, paint, and create art on the computer. This year he wanted his birthday party to be an "Art Party", so we asked the art teacher from my school to come and lead the kids in an art project. Grant loved it.

9. Grant has a great sense of humor. He loves to tell jokes and playfully tease people. He's a funny, funny kid.

10. Grant thinks big. When Grant comes up with an idea, it's on no small scale. While most kids think of having an lemonade stand to raise money, Grant spends his time planning out how he could open an entire restaurant chain. I am not kidding. The child has planned concerts, plays, donut companies, movie theater chains, and on and on. And trust me, nothing frustrates him more than to have someone tell him that it's fun to pretend to make those things but that he can't really do it. This kid is going to do something really big one day. Just wait.

All right. There it is. Better late than never.

No comments: