Friday, July 21, 2006

New Party Tricks

Life has kind of gotten away from us lately, and therefore I have been lazy with the blog. Travis and I have been obsessing over some possible big life changes lately. (While I can't explain the situation right now, we would appreciate prayers for wisdom!) I was thinking this morning that I should update my blog, but then thought, "Whatever would I write about??" I then scolded myself for being so wrapped up in the drama of our lives for the past week that I haven't really given much attention to the great little things that are going on here. So, here are some of the great little things . . .

We like party tricks . . . you know, the cute little things that your kids do that you get them to perform in front of relatives, friends, and, yes, even strangers in line at Target who make the mistake of mentioning how cute the kids are. Sophia's new party trick is her new found acting ability. Sophia has discovered emotions, and being the somewhat dramatic child that she is, she now likes to fake emotions. I have to say, this is actually something that Grant taught her. Sophia tends to squeal, or shriek rather, when she gets excited. So, the other day we were on the way to the pool and Sophia starts to squeal. Grant, who tends to be far less dramatic, looked over at her and said, "Well, Sophia's excited." Later Sophia, excited about something else, squealed and then announced, "Excited." Here's where the party trick starts. Our girl now has an array of emotions that she will summon on command. We say, "Sophia, show me excited." and she squeals loudly. We say, "Sophia, show me crying." and she performs a very dramatic (yet very fake) cry. She may be destined for Hollywood.

Sophia has also found a new fondness for her big brother. All of her life, Sophia has been a mommy's girl. I'm afraid some of her devotion for Mommy may be shifting to her brother. Sophia has taken to keeping close tabs on where Grant is and often asks us for him if she can't see him. Every morning when Sophia wakes up either Travis or I bring her to the living room. It is only a few minutes before she starts calling for Grant who tends to sleep a little later than Sophia. When Grant wakes up and makes his way to the living room, Sophia expresses her delight by chanting, "Grant! Grant! Grant!" and then showers him with hugs and kisses. Grant prefers to wake up very slowly, so I have been very impressed with the patience he demonstrates with her routine each morning. I think he is actually beginning to enjoy the affection she showers him with in the mornings . . . he now greets her morning enthusiasm with a smile and a sleepy, "Morning Sophia."

Starting tomorrow we're on vacation!! I am starting our vacation a little early by driving down to Springfield to go to a friend's wedding and will spend the night and next morning by myself. (Whatever will I do all alone?) Then we have friends coming in from California for a fun week in Kansas City . . . the original plan was to spend our time together in Branson, but we're thinking a hometown vacation may be a fun way to go this time. Our lives tend to be pretty crazy each year in August with the return of students to WJC and the return of Travis to work, so we are excited to spend the last week of July relaxing with friends.

No comments: