Friday, September 15, 2006

I found me.

In a world where many people spend a good portion of their lives trying "to find" themselves, you will be glad to know that my son, at the ripe old age of four, has found himself.

The other night Grant and I spent some quality time together watching some of our residents play in the Jewell women's soccer game. When we arrived at the stadium and saw that the concessions stand was closed, I have to admit that I panicked a little. Grant does like to go to games at the stadium, but I wasn't sure how he would do without his customary order of nachos to pacify himself with. I was actually amazed at how well he did. He sat for a long time on my lap really focusing on the game. Then he entertained himself by watching all of the kids around us.

After a while, Grant thought it would be fun to play hide and seek with Mommy. (Don't worry, this story isn't going where you think it is.) Grant suggested that we play hide and seek. Now, often when Grant makes this suggestion, he means that he will close his eyes and count and then, still standing right in front of you or even sitting on your lap, will shout victoriously, "I found you!" I have to admit that sometimes it's nice that no one actually has to do any hiding. So . . . at the soccer game when Grant made this suggestion, I said, "Ok, you hide." I didn't think much of it when Grant crawled underneath my propped up legs and waited. He's in to bugs these days, so I assumed he found a little family of ants to watch. As it turns out, he was actually hiding and sadly I was not seeking. After a couple of minutes of hiding, Grant popped up and shouted ever so victoriously, "I found me!!"

I hope this means there will be no taking a semester off of college traveling the world trying to "find himself".

No comments: