Wednesday, June 13, 2007

We're on Vacation!

Yep. The Fergusons are enjoying some down time. Travis is officially done with DeLaSal, and I am officially done with Jewell. Even better than just having time off, we are spending some of it in California, one of my favorite places. On Saturday we flew to California with my parents to spend some time with Brandon, Misty, Kyla, and Casey. We are in Monterey until Sunday and then we will be heading up to Napa until June 23.

I have to admit before we left Kansas City I started to get cold feet about our trip. Two weeks away from home with kids is a long time . . . particularly when you are also in the process of moving and changing jobs. Traveling, large numbers of people, time changes, suitcases, changes in routine . . . can be a bit much for a two year old and a four year old. I have been pleasantly surprised though. Our kids have been amazing travelers so far. Both kids enjoyed the flight from Kansas City to San Francisco . . . boredom didn't set in until the last half hour or so. Not bad. They have both slept great . . . this is very fortunate since we are all in one room. They have also truly enjoyed spending time with family (making it much easier for Travis and I to truly enjoy spending time with family!).

Kyla and Casey, my neice and nephew, have been amazing playmates/entertainers for our kids. Because we live in such close quarters at home, Travis and I are used to being involved, or at least watching over, almost all of our children's playtime. The first day we were here and all of the kids played in the other room for an extended period of time, I knew we were in for a good vacation. Sophia is particularly smitten with Casey and anywhere Casey goes, Sophia is close behind him. He is has been very gracious with his new shadow. I have really enjoyed seeing Grant and Sophia enjoy their cousins.

We have had a blast here in Monterey . . . many trips to the beach, a visit to the aquarium, trips to local parks, shopping . . . Last night Travis and I even got to have a date night. We went out for some fresh sea food, took a drive along the coast, and then sat on the beach in Carmel and watched the sun go down. Amazing. This morning I got up and headed to the beach with my brother for a morning walk (so actually he ran . . . I was lazier and chose to walk). Tomorrow morning he is taking me on a 20 mile bike ride along the coast . . . we'll see if I survive. Seriously, why is it that we haven't moved out here?

Grant and Daddy on the airplane.

Grant with a starfish on the beach in Monterey.

Sophia posing on the beach in Asilomar. This is her "cute face".

We have had a lot of fun building sand castles. The kids are getting quite skilled.

The cousins. Kyla and Casey have been wonderful big cousins to our kids. We are so thankful to them for helping our kids have a great vacation.

Another highlight of our trip has been the opportunity we had to spend an evening with Grant and Donna Hatasaki, Travis's friends and mentors since his Young Life days in high school. This is a picture of our Grant with the Grant he was named after.

No comments: