Thursday, November 29, 2007

Giving Thanks . . .

We are thankful.

In the weeks that led up to thanksgiving we talked with the kids about the things that we had to be thankful for. We enjoyed making lists of what everyone appreciates. We called them our "Thank you God" lists. Sophia usually said things like my mommy and daddy and my school. Grant usually said my family, lollipops, hugs, and various friends names. One of the things that Travis and I are most thankful for is that we are living near family. We were able to spend time with family over the Thanksgiving weekend . . . and that we didn't have to drive 8 hours to do it. It is funny to think of what a different place we are now than where we expected to be when we were looking ahead from this time last year. Not what we expected, but we are definitely thankful that it is where we are.

We spent Thanksgiving day this year in Savannah with the Ferguson clan. We enjoyed seeing the Grandparents, Steve, BJ, and Abby. I have to say, the food was amazing. I hope the day never comes when I a responsible for putting together the feast . . . I don't think I could ever live up to the precedent set by either of our mothers.

On Saturday we traveled to Chillicothe where we got to see the other Grandparents, my Grandma Smith, and my Aunt Sheryl and Uncle Dale. It was a smaller gathering this year than in years past, but we definitely enjoyed our time together. Again, amazing food. We are looking forward to a couple of years from now when Brandon and Misty will be back in the area for family holiday gatherings. We were spoiled by having my military brother stationed close to home for a long time. Now that they are in California, it just doesn't seem right to have them away during the holidays. We are thankful that they will be back in Missouri in 2009!

Aside from traveling between Grandparents' we enjoyed some down time as just the four of us. This fall has been terribly busy, so it was great to relax and spend some time enjoying one another. We even fit in a Sunday afternoon trip to the indoor pool.

I didn't do a very good job taking pictures, but here's what I got . . .

Grant loves to cook, so he was delighted when his cousin, Abby, let him help her make sweet potato casserole.

Sophia in her "house" at Grandma and Grandpa Ferguson's.

I loved the look of the fall leaves against the blue sky.

Grant and Grandma Owens.

Sophia is also quite a little cook. She helped Grandma Owens make a pumpkin pie.

Sophia and "Smith".

Four generations of girls.

1 comment:

The Maggio's said...

I love the last picture!