Sophia and Travis enjoyed playing hide and seek with one another. One evening they were deep into a game while, I'll admit it, I was watching TV. Sophia is not particularly skilled at the game just yet, so if no one is giving her clues it often takes her a while to find Travis. At one point it was Travis's turn to hide. He chose to crouch down between the couch and the wall. I watched Sophia look for him for a minute or two and then I got distracted. So did Sophia. Several minutes later I was engrossed in whatever was on TV and Sophia was engrossed in a book on the floor. It was then that I heard Travis whisper from behind the couch, "Uh, is she still looking for me?" What a sport.
Another highlight was going to the park . . .
We really like the park. A special highlight of break was getting to meet up with my friend Jodi and her kids at a park one day. I'm bummed that I didn't have my camera that day!
Grant has been diligent about keeping our driveway beautifully decorated. His artwork of choice these days is gumball machines and mazes. He has also adorned our driveway with numerous copies of the alphabet. He takes great pride in his chalk art.
When the weather finally turns from winter's cold grey to spring's warmer sunshine, there's nothing better than being outside.
The kids took advantage of the warm weather and "washed" the van for me. No, it wasn't actually warm enough to play in the water, but they did enjoy soaping up the van and rinsing it off. In this picture you can tell Sophia is a bit upset that she got her shirt wet . . . of course, she is wearing a crown, too.
Do you remember the days when Grant would play all day at the kitchen sink if we would let him? While he no longer plays at the sink, he does still have a special love for water.
On the Saturday before Easter our church had our annual cinnamon roll breakfast and Easter Egg Hunt. The teenagers had a face painting station for the kids. Most kids chose an Easter related symbol, Sophia chose to have the Easter Monkey painted on her face. I love that creative mind of hers.
Grant is more of a traditionalist and chose a bunny.
Sophia hunting for eggs.
Grant on the hunt.
The next day we went to church to really celebrate Easter. Throughout the week we had talked with the kids about the meaning of Easter. We taught them the traditional Christian call and response of "He is risen!" and "He is risen, indeed!" Both kids enjoyed calling out "He is risen!" and getting the family to respond. As we were teaching this to the kids Travis would playfully tell the kids that he had a quiz for them and would then say "He is risen!" We would cheer when then would respond. By Easter morning the kids had fully embraced the tradition. After Sunday School on Easter morning Sophia was excited to tell me that her teachers knew what to say when she said "He is risen." During the church service Grant's eyes lit up when the pastor said, "He is risen!" to the congregation. Grant responded with an enthusiastic "He is risen indeed!" with his church family. Then he looked at Travis and said (loudly), "Did we pass the quiz, Dad?"










No comments:
Post a Comment