Sunday, April 13, 2008

Special like a colored balloon . . .

Full time work is cramping my blogging style! I apologize for not posting as frequently these days. My intentions are always better than reality.

It's been a big couple of weeks at the Ferguson house. Everyone has taken a turn being sick. This was not the more fun part of the last few weeks. We are now down to just runny noses and annoying coughs, so we're definitely on the mend.

As I mentioned before, hide and seek has been big at our house lately. We have had numerous games where the whole family has played at once. Sophia is rather creative, if not effective, in her choice of hiding places. Here are a few of them:

Sophia "hiding" in a pair of sunglasses behind a view master reel.

Sophia "hiding" behind the stuffed Pooh Bear. The funny thing is that she is pretty surprised when we find her!

Sophia discovered the joy of fruit dip.

MMMMM . . . does it get much better than fruit covered in sweet cream? Especially if you make that sweet cream pink? (Yes, this totally goes against our boycott of all things artificial, but it was a special treat.)

As for Grant, he's had a big week. On Friday he went with me to a carnival at my school. My principal was nice enough to give Grant a pass that let him play as many games as he wanted--this was very fortunate for Grant because I had decided that I'm way to frugal/cheap to pay the $15 for the pass. I was going to cap him at $5 (poor kid). Grant definitely got the full value out of his pass. He must have done the the inflatable obstacle course at least 20 times--the mere $5 I would have spent would have been tapped out after 5 trips through the course. I was impressed with how well Grant handled the noise and chaos of the carnival atmosphere. He had a great time and left completely exhausted. I have to say that I enjoyed introducing him to my new friends at my school, too.

Another big event for Grant this week was his first school music program. The kindergartners and fist graders at his school put on a Spring themed music program in which each grade level sang about 6 songs and then they finished with one last song with everyone. The program was held at the Community Center on the big stage with the bright lights. Grant was AMAZING! Sure, he literally bounced up and down throughout the entire program. And sure, each time the audience clapped he kindly (sort of) reminded them that he did not appreciate it when they clapped. But for a kid who has sensory issues and who told me all day long that he was going to just sit and watch his friends sing, I was very proud of how well my boy did. He stood there with his friends and even sang along some of the time. The amount of courage and sheer determination that it must have taken him to stand up there despite the bright lights and clapping is admirable. I'll admit that during the most adorable version of "Mr. Golden Sun" that I have ever seen, when Grant tapped his chest as he sang the words "These little children are asking you . . .", I got a bit teary eyed. I love that kid.

I'll end with a few cute kid quotes:

Sophia to mommy: Mommy can we go somewhere after dinner today?

Mommy: Where do you want to go?

Sophia: Disney World

Mommy laughs.

(Several hours later at bedtime.)

Mommy: Sophia it's almost time for bed.

Sophia(whining): But I thought we were going to Disney World!

Mommy: Sophia, Disney World isn't someplace we can just go on a whim.

Grant: No, not on a whim, we have to go on an airplane.

The other day Grant, Sophia, and I went for a walk to the park. Grant ever so sweetly said, "Mommy, God made you special like colored balloons." (I have no idea if he came up with this one on his own or if he heard it somewhere, but how sweet is that?!?)

We have enjoyed playing the guess what I'm thinking of game. The other day when we were playing, it was Grant's turn to think of something.

Grant: I'm thinking of something that is pink, red, and white, and it has a button on it.

Mommy: Is it a pink computer?

Grant: No, it's a belly button.

No comments: