Saturday, April 04, 2009

Move over Dr. Seuss . . .

I enjoy writing. One of the things that I appreciate most about the kindergarten curriculum at Grant's school is that they have the kids write . . . a lot. The kids participate in Writer's Workshop where they are taught the elements of good writing and are encouraged to be creative. I love, love, love reading the things that Grant and his friends come up with. I thought I'd share a few of Grant's stories here, even though typing them without the illustrations doesn't quite do them justice.

1. "If You Give My Best Friend a Sugar Cookie"

If you give a friend a sugar cookie,

Then she will want a glass of milk,

Next, she will want a straw.

Then she will eat her cookie.

Now she will drink more milk.

If you give a friend a cookie, she will ask for more.

2. "When I Cut My Finger"

One day I tried to cut an apple.

I picked a knife from the sharp knife collection.

I picked a knife that only adults should touch.

I cut the apple. Then . . .

The knife slipped.

I cut my finger.

I had to go to the Emergency Building.

I had to wait . . .

A doctor came in . . .

to make my fingers better.

Please never use a knife!

3. "The Stadium"

I like to go to baseball games.

First, I drive there with my mom and dad.

Second, we watch the baseball players.

They swing with the bat!

Then they hit the ball.

They earned a point!

Next, they earn a second point!,

Now the other team scored a point.

The score is 2 to 1.

The game is over!

No comments: