Well, here it is in honor of Grant's birthday this week: 10 things I love about Grant as a seven year old.
1. Grant has taken to swimming this year like a fish. He loves the water and has done a great job learning to swim. Grant has a constant smile on his face whenever he is swimming. I may think he's about to drown and completely water logged, but when I pull him out of the water, he seems to be laughing even before his face breaks the surface of the water.
2. Grant has become quite the actor. He likes to assume a role and to assign roles to others. He's quite persistent about this game. In fact, he calls Travis "Patrick" (from Spongebob) almost more than he calls him Daddy!
3. Grant has eyes for his Daddy. It's not coincidence that Travis is assigned the role of Patrick to Grant's Spongebob . . . best buddies. Grant admires and respects his dad, and I love watching that relationship grow. The other day in the car, Grant told Sophia that she should marry Daddy when she goes up because "he's fun, and he is a really good father."
4. Grant's creativity and artistic skills have really blossomed this year. Crayola owes Grant big. He may keep them in business despite any recession. One of Grant's favorite things to do is to sit at the table with construction paper, markers, scissors, and glue. He draws pictures, writes letters, and frequently redecorates our living room with his artwork. Another favorite--wipe dry markers on the glass doors to the deck. Hours of fun . . . literally.
5. Grant teaches me to think outside the box. Everyday. Grant has a unique perspective on life and at time amazes me with his perceptiveness. Grant teaches me to look to solve problems in uncommonly creative ways and to find joy in places I wouldn't have thought to look.
6. What a fun kid. Grant has become someone that I genuinely enjoy being around. I would love spending time with him even if he weren't my kid. He is witty and charming. He is kind and compassionate. I love his quirky personality and his unique spin on life.
7. Grant is learning to be a great friend. Grant wanted a friend birthday party this year. He loves his friends and they love him. Some of Grant's favorite activities at school this year were playing games with his friends. Uno and Go Fish are favorites but he's a fan of board games, too. Grant's best buddy this year was a little girl named Alana. He says he is going to marry her and will take her last name.
8. Grant is a great big brother. Few things bring me as much joy as a parent as when I watch my kids enjoy and care for one another. Grant has become a good friend to his sister. Sure, he torments her at times, but what brother doesn't torment his sister. Overall, however, Grant has become a great playmate and encourager for Sophia.
9. Grant is full of cool tricks. I don't know what it takes to officially have a photographic memory, but Grant may very well have it. As you can imagine, such a trait enables cool party tricks. Whether it's spouting out presidential facts, reciting Bible verses, or telling all about the various NBC news affiliates and anchors across the country, Grant entertains us with his impressive memory.
10. Baby teeth, no teeth, grown up teeth, no one smiles like my boy. Grant lost a lot of teeth this year. Turns out his smile doesn't need them to melt my heart. Love that kid's smile. When he accompanies that smile with a big hug and kiss on my cheek, I'm ready to give him the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment