Today my sweet Sophia turns five years old. I. can. not. believe. it. I know that it is terribly cliche to say "where does time go?" but SERIOUSLY, where does time go?!? The feel of her as a newborn in my arms is so fresh in my mind that it feels like it couldn't have been more than a few months ago. But then I look at her today and she most definitely is not a baby. Today Sophia rides her new "big kid" bike, she sings in her church choir with her friends, she has wonderfully insightful things to say, and she most definitely has opinions, passions, and feelings. So, she's five. And I love her. Here is my annual list of things I love about my girl:
1. Sophia sings in the shower. Not just a little tune here and there. My girl rocks it out in the shower. Dancing and all. Sometimes her songs are songs that she's learned from movies, at school, or at church, while others are made up on the spot. I hope Sophia never gets to self-conscious to belt out a song in the shower.
2. Quality time is Sophia's love language. She loves to be with her people. From folding laundry, going for walks and baking to grocery shopping, playing in the basement, reading books, and watching movies. Sophia will do almost anything if it means someone will do it with her. I hope that even in the busy-ness of our lives Sophia always knows that her people cherish time with her too.
3. Sophia is growing into a great friend. I love, love, love to watch Sophia interact with her friends. This year her most special friend has been Olivia. We hear daily about the games Sophia has played with Olivia at school, what Olivia likes, and all the little details that Sophia has learned about her bestie. There are other special friends too. My heart swells when the parents of Sophia's friends tell us how much their children adore Sophia.
4. I love Sophia's appreciation for the innocent fantasies of unicorns and princesses. Honestly, I'm not sure who Sophia would be without her love for these things as they are such a part of her personality. One day when I went to pick Sophia up from her school, her class had a display of a things they would like to find under the sea. Sophia's contribution to the list was, of course, a sea unicorn. Why not? While Sophia's experience of life without princesses and unicorns might cause some to give up hoping for a "really real unicorn", she holds out hope that there is one out there somewhere. I pray that Sophia is always brave enough and innocent enough to hope for things that seem unlikely.
5. Sophia is a reader, a true lover of books. She is especially so when someone will read them with her. I cannot express how thankful I am for an excuse to read a chapter of Junie B. Jones or Pinkalicious or Fancy Nancy each night. And I will admit that I am so excited for the day we get to start the Ramona books!
6. Sophia is confident in who she is and what she thinks. I remember when Sophia was going through the terrible two's we taught her to say "I am a smart, strong woman!" to remind us that her stubborn resolve would be a strength for her one day. Sophia, while certainly no longer "terrible", is still quite confident in what she thinks and willing to assert herself when necessary. She's got great ideas and she knows it. I'm proud of my smart, strong little woman.
7. Sophia has a flair for fashion. Sophia is a girl who would wear a dress and heals everyday if she could. I can tell you right now that Sophia will be more in style than I have ever been. I can't wait until she is able to start providing me some fashion direction.
8. Sophia is a shopper. Whether it's an opportunity to spend birthday money or groceries, my girl doesn't miss an opportunity to go to a store. I'm glad. I like her company.
9. My girl is smart. Don't think for a second that all of her sass, style, and spunk means that my girl was short changed on intellect. Sophia constantly amazes us with the things she knows and the things she can do. She is well on her way to being a good reader and has already developed some math strategies for addition and subtraction.
10. Sophia has a gracious heart. She is compassionate and understanding. Her name means divine wisdom. As I listen to her talk about her feelings and the feelings her friends and family and as I watch her interact with the world around her, I know that she is growing into her name.
There you go, 10 things I love about my five year old Sophia. Happy Birthday Sophia!
No comments:
Post a Comment