Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Regaining lost trust . . .

It turns out my mom was right when she told me that trust is hard to win back once it is lost. A while back I was feeding Sophia some Mac and Cheese. Having just learned the word "hot", she told me the noodles were hot. I assured her that the were not too hot, blew on them half-heartedly, and then put them in her mouth. It turns out that they were hotter than I realized (definitely not dangerously hot, though) and she let me know it. She's a bit prone to drama. My credibility is shot when it comes to issues of food temperature. Since the hot Mac and Cheese episode, Sophia has insisted that every bit of food that Travis and I have offered her is too hot to eat . . . even ice cream. In order to get her to eat we have to blow on her food with a dramatic flair that matches her own. We're hoping that we will have soon fed her enough meals that have not burned her mouth that she will begin to trust us again.

As for Grant, he has begun a new mission of multiculturalism. Grant apparently has a love for the Spanish language and has recently decided that the best greeting for all situations is "Hola!" with an occasional "Hola, amigos!". He greets all of our friends here at WJC with an enthusiastic "Hola!" We have a conference staying in our building right now and Grant welcomed each of the guests with a loud "Hola!" We went to Cabela's last weekend so I could get the sandals Travis and the kids promised me for Mother's Day. Grant greeted each child he saw with a very friendly "Hola!"

Speaking of Cabela's, they have a huge aquarium full of fish. Grant loved it! I'm pretty sure he would have stayed there all day if he could have.

Grant has reached a new milestone. He has begun sleeping in his new big boy bed. Many of you know that Grant has been a very high maintenance sleeper since day one. Because of this, Grant has spent a lot of time sleeping in our bed. Recently we bought Grant a new bunk bed with a full size bed on bottom, so he would have plenty of room to wiggle around. This week we have taken the bold step of actually having him sleep in it. He has done pretty well. Sunday night he made it till 4 am all alone in bed without waking up or getting out of his bed. Those of you who know Grant's sleep habits, know that this was no minor accomplishment for Grant. I'm so proud of my little guy. I do have to admit that I'll miss waking up to his morning cuddles though.

No comments: