If we had sent out Christmas cards this year, we would have used this picture. It has been a great couple of weeks. We have enjoyed a lot of family time, both with just the four of us and with our extended family. One of the things I love most about the holidays is family traditions. Now that our kids are getting old enough to understand some traditions, Travis and I have been enjoying carrying on some of the traditions of our childhoods as well as starting some new ones just for our family. One night a week or two ago, we spent a good part of one evening driving around looking at the Christmas lights--this was a fun family tradition from my childhood. This year we started our night by treating ourselves to drinks from Starbucks (the kids love their chocolate milk) and then turned on some Christmas music and drove from neighborhood to neighborhood in search of the most decorated homes. Both kids loved looking at the lights and other decorations. In accordance with one of Travis's childhood traditions, we get a real tree each year. Our tree looked wonderful this year. Unfortunately, it fell over. Twice. It's funny now, but not so much at the time.
We enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with both my side of the family and Travis's side in the last week. Last Saturday we gathered at my parents' house to celebrate Christmas with my Grandma Smith (or just "Smith" as my kids have taken to calling her--it's endearing) and my Aunt Sheryl and her family. We definitely missed having Brandon and Misty and the kids around this year. We had a great day though. In the picture above you can see Sophia some of the jewelry that Aunt and Smith gave her. She's quite the lady.On Tuesday Travis's mom's side of the family got together at our place. Since all of our residents are gone, we were able to use the lobby for our family get together. It is always fun getting to see everyone.
In other news, I now have an informant . . . today Travis and Sophia ran some errands while I took Grant to gymnastics. When Travis and Sophia picked us up, Sophia announced that they had bought a present for mommy. I'm not good a surprises . . . giving or receiving, so I appreciate my little tipster. Travis decided to follow Sophia's lead and let me in on my surprise a day before he had planned. Tomorrow I get to have a massage while Travis takes the kids to my parents' house. We will then get to have a date night. It's not even my birthday yet--perhaps Travis is trying to soften the blow of the big 3-0.
Speaking of Grant and gymnastics, all I can say is move over Hamm brothers. Grant is doing quite good for himself. He surprises his teachers each week by how quickly he is picking up on things.

<>
No comments:
Post a Comment