Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas and beyond . . .

I wanted to share just a few more pictures from Christmas. These were taken on Christmas Eve before church. The kids were in the mood to pose for pictures, so I took full advantage of it. I'm sure I will be scolded one day for posting the bottom one!

What's a Christmas update without telling about the loot everyone received? The highlights: Grant got a camera and a Leapster (similar to a Gameboy, but educational). Grant's a gadget guy, so he loved both of these. He also got the Floam (a play-doh type substance that has little Styrofoam balls in it) he had been requesting for three weeks and learned the tough lesson that things look cooler in commercials than in real life. Sophia's top gifts were a new born Cabbage Patch (thanks Bran and Misty . . . she loves it!) and a toy cooking set complete with dishes, a stove, and fake food. I can't tell you how many plastic waffles I have "eaten" in the last few days. I got an iPod! (No more hoping Travis forgets to take his to work with him so that I can take it to the gym!). Travis got a new coat (doesn't sound as fun as my iPod, but sometimes you just get what you ask for . . .).

As a side, I have to say that it is funny to me that all of Sophia's favorite toys are very girly and in line with social stereotypes. Anyone who knows me knows that I am very much the tom-boy and a feminist (don't worry, I'm the nice kind of feminist). In fact, I don't think I really embraced my feminine side until I was about 27. I always thought that girls played with dolls and dishes because they were steered in that direction by their parents. It turns out that's not always true. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the toys that Sophia has gravitated towards. In fact, I am honored that she would want to "practice" being a mommy and a cook. (Not that she is imitating me when she pretends to be a good cook . . . she is taking after her grandmothers on that one!) While I am surprised that a child of mine would be so girly, it also makes me smile because it is one more bit of evidence that our kids are who they are because that is how God designed them.

Each year after Christmas I am eager to return our home to its undecorated state . . . I'm quick to put up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving and quick to take them down after Christmas. In a small apartment like ours, taking down the Christmas tree returns to us precious square footage of floor space! This year I put away all of our Christmas decorations one night while the kids were in bed. One of our favorite new additions to our Christmas decorations this year was a Little People nativity scene that sat under the tree. The kids loved playing with it. Sophia even found the baby Jesus on Christmas morning and wished him a Happy Birthday. So, the day after I cleansed our apartment of all things Christmas, Sophia looked around for a while and then asked Travis and I, "Where did Jesus go?" Good reminder not to hurry too quickly out of the Christmas season . . .

One last funny story . . . the other day Grant did something that earned him a time out. After he had been in the chair for the appropriate amount of time, Travis knelt down to talk about the situation. He attempted to elicit an apology out of Grant. What he got instead was a very gracious sounding Grant telling him "I forgive you, Daddy." Each time Travis suggested that Grant say "I'm sorry" Grant would tell him, "It's okay, I forgive you."

No comments: