Yesterday Travis and I returned from a four day road trip. We were fortunate this year in that Travis's Spring Break at DeLaSal was the same week as Jewell's Spring Break. We were even more fortunate that my parents' were up to devoting four days to taking care of/spoiling their grandkids. Friday night after all of the Jewell students left, Travis and I drove to Chillicothe, put the kids to bed at my parents' house, and then started our drive up to Milwaukee. Yes, Milwaukee is an odd Spring Break destination given that there was considerable snow remaining on the ground when we arrived, but none the less it is on the short list of places we may move this summer. I have been accepted into the doctoral program in the Theology Department at Marquette University, so Travis and I took the opportunity to visit the school and get a feel for the city and surrounding area. I have to admit that Milwaukee is not a city that we fell in love with the moment we arrived, but after spending a few days there we arrived at the conclusion that it is a place we could live and enjoy for a few years. We both felt the the trip was incredibly productive as we learned much about the area that will help us make informed decisions in the next few months.
I'm still trying to process the whole experience, so I thought I would offer a list of highs and lows about the trip and our impressions of the place we may call home in a few months:
High: Four days of grown up time (including probably 24 hours in the car and several restaurant meals without ordering anything off of the kids menu)
Low: I'm not ashamed to say that I missed my kids! This was the longest we have ever been away from our kids, and I definitely missed kissing them goodnight.
High: It was exciting for Travis and I to make plans about chasing new dreams and starting new adventures together.
Low: I was caught a little off guard by how stressful the whole experience was. For a couple months I have been excited about going on a great road trip with my husband, but I forgot to think about the fact that making decisions about the future can be scary.
High: Wonderful woman in Barnes and Noble who visited with us about the wonders of Wisconsin. She told us of the great attractions of Milwaukee, the fabulous schools in the area, the wonderful outdoor activities we will have the opportunity to enjoy, and the great traditions of the area. She was very welcoming and seemed to genuinely hope we come to love the area as she does.
Low: Grouchy man who works in the Marquette Library who didn't want to let us look around. Ummm . . . when a perspective student is on your campus, you are supposed to be friendly and inviting.
High: As we drove around neighborhoods in the area that we may consider buying a house in, we noticed that there are A LOT of big, old trees everywhere. I love the idea of living in a neighborhood with a lot of trees.
Low: As we drove around neighborhoods in the area that we may consider buying a house in, we noticed that the houses are SMALL and EXPENSIVE! Fortunately, we are experienced at living in close quarters.
High: A few years ago Travis and I invested in a really nice bed.
Low: Our backs are spoiled . . . hotel beds make us hurt.
High: I got to visit with a professor in the Theology Department, and I think the program has a lot to offer. I think that if I earn my degree at Marquette, I will be in a good position to get a great job when I graduate.
Low: Despite the fact that I moved many, many times as I was growing up, the thought of being the new kid again is frightening.
All in all we had a great trip. We enjoyed our time together, equipped ourselves to make some decisions, and got some much needed rest. By Tuesday at noon, we were very happy to get home to our kids. The kids were happy to see us, but they had had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa Owens. Tuesday afternoon as Sophia and I walked to the Union to get our mail, she said, "I miss you, Mommy." Then without taking a breath she said, "Can I see Grandma again?"
What's next? We are waiting to hear from one more school before we make a final decision, but it feels good to know that things are beginning to move forward. It's still a bit scary, but also good.
No comments:
Post a Comment