Monday, May 14, 2007

Llamas, and goats, and pigs! Oh, my!

Grant's school had a petting zoo today. Sophia and I joined Grant's class in visiting with the animals. Both kids had a great time. Unlike last year's petting zoo where the kids got to pet and feed animals from outside individual pens, the animals at this zoo were all together in one big pen and the kids went inside to feed and walk among the animals. I wasn't sure if the kids would like this format as the animals were pretty aggressive when the food came out. I have to say that I was quite impressed with the way the two of them held their own with the animals. They both got right in there, and to be honest, seemed more at ease with the pushy animals than I was. I suppose farmer genes in Grant and Sophia came out today. Most of the animals were bigger than Sophia, but she wasn't at all intimidated. At times the animals would think she had food and would completely surround her. She found this quite amusing. I'll admit that it made me a little nervous, so anytime that happened I would "rescue" her.

Grant loved talking with the animals. He greeted each animal and asked how each one was doing. When the animals got pushy Grant would say in his most polite voice, "Oh, excuse me, llama."

"Hi there, piggy. Are you eating some grass?"

Sophia loved it when the goose would honk at her.

No comments: