Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Pastor Bob, come out, come out, where ever you are!

We went to a wedding this past weekend--Travis's cousin Wake and his beautiful bride, Sara got married in Fillmore, Missouri. I have to say that I absolutely love weddings. They make me sentimental and sappy . . . sitting next to my husband and remembering our wedding, thinking of the wonderful journey the bride and groom are beginning, thinking ahead to what it will be like when our children get married . . . I turn to mush.

This wedding was a little different for me though . . . The ceremony was beautiful and the bride and groom are clearly love one another and are seeking God in their marriage. So the difference certainly wasn't in terms of my joy for the bride and groom. No, this wedding was a little different in that we took our children. Anytime you attempt to keep a four year old who lacks much social awareness and a chatty two year old quiet for an extended period of time it is an adventure. Originally Travis and I were going to attend the wedding without the children, but then we decided that it was important for Grant and Sophia to see their extended family that gathered for the affair. So, we packed a bag of books, markers, and chocolate treats and hoped for the best. All in all I have to say that the kids did pretty good. They kept us on our toes, and Travis and I each kept one eye on the wedding and one on a child. They wouldn't be children though if they didn't give us a few things to blush about at the time and laugh about later.

Grant is a kid who likes schedules. There are a lot of things that he can get through just fine if he can know the order that things will happen and when it will be over. So as we were waiting for the wedding to begin, Grant and I read through the program. We read that the Pastor, Bob, would both begin and end the wedding. We had arrived a the church a little early, so Grant had grown tired of waiting for the wedding to begin. He caught a glimpse of someone's shoes poking out from under the curtain at the front of the church. The sight of the shoes gave Grant hope that the wedding would be starting soon. He decided to encourage things along by announcing, "Pastor Bob, come out, come out, where ever you are!"

Sophia being our social butterfly was quick to make friends with the people sitting behind us. When the wedding was over, Sophia was visiting with her new friends as we waited for the ushers to dismiss our row. Sophia's kind friend told Sophia that her necklace and bow were very pretty. Sophia smiled, said thank you, and then hiked her leg up over the pew and told the lady, "I have very pretty legs, too" Let's hope she isn't still doing that at sixteen.

No comments: