Saturday, December 22, 2007

Whew . . . we made it to break . . .

The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind in the Ferguson house. With the exception of Sophia, we've each taken a turn being sick--some of us were more sick than others (hee, hee). Travis made it through the end of the semester as his students got more and more squirrelly, anxious for break. Grant's teachers made it through the end of the semester as Grant got more and more squirrelly, anxious for break. Grant has done great in school this year, but he was definitely ready for some down time and was having quite a bit of trouble focusing as the semester came to a close. We're hoping the break does him some good and that he is able to regain his enthusiasm for school.

Some big news for our family is that I have been hired for my first teaching job! I am very excited to be teaching in the North Kansas City School District. I am teaching Special Education at an elementary school. I worked the last two days before break and I think I am going to love it. Everyone I have met at my school seems very nice and excited to welcome me to the staff. I have met a few of my students and they seem just great!

I have to admit that while I am thrilled to be taking this job, it does not come without some guilt . . . guilt that I won't be able to volunteer in Grant's class as much as I have been, guilt that Sophia will have to go to day care everyday, and even some guilt that I am as excited as I am about this career move. Mommy-guilt is a powerful beast. I do think that this job is going to be a blessing for our family in the long run. It will definitely help us financially, and as far as jobs go teaching is pretty family friendly. Travis and I are thrilled that we will both be off every summer to spend time as a family.

On to other things . . . every bit as monumental as my getting a new job . . . Grant got his hair cut at a barbar shop today. For those of you who do not realize what a big deal is, let me tell you that since Grant was about 2 years old, cutting his hair has been a two person job where one person restrains him and the other person chases his thrashing head withe clippers. Grant was terrified of the clippers and scissors. I honestly wondered at times if he had nerve in his hair that made cutting it hurt. He has done a lot better over the last year or so, but we had never taken him to a barbar shop because haircuts were such an ordeal. Today Grant decided that he would like to get his hair at a barbar shop. We're not really sure what sparked this desire in him, but Travis jumped on it. Grant did a great job and he looks very handsome.

No comments: