Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ekozoid, Mickey Mouse, and someone thinks I'm smart . . .

Today was the last day of Travis's Christmas Break . . . it's a shame that we can't have two stay at home parents year round. We enjoyed having Travis home during the day, had some fun family time, and got some chores done that we had been putting off. I can't complain.

Today Travis played Daddy-chef and made Grant a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. When Travis had finished cooking the sandwich, he asked Grant if he would like to have the sandwich cut into squares or triangles. Grant responded that he preferred stars (when we want a fun/fancy lunch we often use star shaped cookie cutters to make star shaped sandwiches--does it get fancier than that?). Unfortunately, the beloved star shaped cookie cutter was not in the drawer. Travis explained to Grant that he couldn't do stars and asked again what shape Grant would like. Grant thought about it and responded, "I would like ekozoid shaped sandwiches, please." Somehow, Travis managed to fulfill that request.

Our Sophia is sick. She hasn't been herself for a few days and woke up this morning with a fever. I took her to the doctor, and it turns out she has an ear infection in both ears. This morning she woke up earlier than normal, so she and I snuggled on the couch. We visited for a while, she drank her morning cup of juice. Then we both fell back to sleep. Sophia has only discovered the joy of snuggling in the past couple of months. While I am sad that my girl is sick, I have to admit I enjoyed laying on the couch with her this morning.

Sophia has become quite the fan of the new show Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the Disney channel. As far as children's programming goes, I think this one is pretty cute. Sophia doesn't really have a lot of interest in watching television but she loves Mickey Mouse, Barney (ugh!), and a children's sing-along video that my mom bought at a garage sale. As we snuggled on the couch this morning Sophia sang, "I love Mickey Mouse. He loves me. We're best friends like friends should be." Those of you who have been unfortunate enough to have spent time watching Barney will recognize that my talented daughter came up with her own version of Barney's "I love you" song. This goes back to my post awhile back about being us being fun singers. She makes me proud!

I am trilled to report that someone thinks I'm smart. Most of you know that I spent the fall putting together applications to doctoral programs in Theology and Ethics. I have finished the grueling application process and have now entered the waiting game. Throughout my academic career, I have been quite the perfectionist. I admit though that I vacillate between great self-confidence and great self-doubt. It can be agonizing. The most difficult aspect of applying to doctoral programs has been facing the possibility that I might be rejected by every program I apply to. I don't think I would be devastated about not getting in, because there are a lot of career possibilities that I think I would enjoy. So while I wouldn't be devastated, I would be embarrassed--I would hate having to tell everyone who has cheered me on in this endeavor that I didn't make it. Well, that is no longer a worry. Today, I received my first acceptance letter. It's official, at least one of the schools that I applied to thinks I'm smart enough to make it through their program. It feels good.

1 comment:

B J C said...

Happy New Year and congrats on your acceptance! That is wonderful news. Glad to see that you guys enjoyed your holidays together--good luck getting back to the daily grind!!

Lindsey