Good plan . . . until the bus driver informed one of the teachers that we would need to get going soon in order for the buses to be back to Liberty in time to begin their end of the school day routes.
Grant and I were sitting at a picnic table with his teacher and about six of his classmates. When Grant's teacher got the news that we wouldn't have time to play at the park, she announced to the kids that we would be heading back to school instead of playing but that the kids would have some outside play time at school.
Now, sitting to my immediate left was an angelic little girl whom I'll call Kay (protecting the not so innocent here). Kay is an angelic, sweet, tiny little girl. Her voice is soft and sweet. She is one of those kids who you just can't help but be attracted to. Upon hearing the disappointing news of no park time, Kay took a deep breath, sighed, and said "D*mn it."
I was stunned . . . and I have to admit that I found it to be pretty funny. Not so much because the words came out of her mouth. Unfortunately, I realize that this is a common phrase in many homes. It was stunning because this angel of a child cursed with such ease, like she had said it a million times before. Not only that, but when our eyes made contact she did not have the shocked and embarrassed look that most children have when they accidentally cuss in front of a grown up. Instead she looked at me as if to say, "Seriously. Can you believe this?!?" For the record, I don't think that Kay is a potty mouth. I think that she didn't know that what she said was inappropriate.
The wonderful thing about kindergartners is their innocence. The other kids sitting with us were unphased by what Kay had said. I don't think any of them knew the word (maybe I'm naive). Except for Brett. Brett had the look of shock that I had expected to see on Kay's face. Brett gathered his composure and said, "Um, Kay. I think you meant to say 'Darn it.'"
No comments:
Post a Comment