One night last year I was spending time with several of the Melrose girls and in the course of our conversation one said, "You're not old. It's not like you're 30." Well, tomorrow I am. (Don't worry, this isn't going to be an "I can't believe I'm so old" kind of post.) I remember thinking when I was about 23 that I was probably the perfect age and that if given the opportunity, anyone older than 23 would probably return to that age. The idea is laughable now, as I wouldn't trade where I am now to be 23 for all the world. I really am happier with who I am at 30 than who I was at 23. I thought turning 30 would feel monumental to me . . . it doesn't. Surprisingly, it doesn't feel much different than turning 25. Because I live with 18-22 year olds who offer me a sad look when I tell them I will be thirty tomorrow, I've decided to post "Thirty thoughts on thirty years". Some thoughts will reveal why being thirty feels better than being 23 and some will just be observations about where I am at thirty. I hope that what I write now will make myself laugh I am turning 40 and looking back at this! So in no particular order . . .
1. Living with college students, I have a lot of young friends. At least some of them seem to enjoy spending time with me, so even at thirty I must have some cool factor left in me.
2. At 30 I am right where I want to be with my family. I have a wonderful husband and two wonderful kids. They make me happy in a way I didn't know I could be at 18.
3. Having a husband who is seven and a half years older than me is a daily reminder of how young I am. (Secretly, I like it when he calls me his "child bride".)
4. Twenty years from now I will only be 50. Twenty years feels like a long time and 50 doesn't seem old at all.
5. My perspective on what "old" is has changed over time.
6. At thirty, I have a happiness with myself that I didn't have at 18. I accept and am proud of who I am.
7. I have never understood what makes some music cool and some not. In high school I always struggled to keep up with what was cool in the music scene. I usually just decided to like whatever music my friends liked. At 30, it's ok that I'm not cool when it comes to music. I just listen to what I like and no one cares whether I know all of the current hits or top bands.
8. I still love to exercise. In fact, I enjoy running more now than I did at 18. My body has not grown old.
9. I weigh about what I did when I graduated from college. (I will admit that after two babies that weight is distributed differently than it was back then!)
10. I can cook at least week's worth of good meals. I couldn't do that when I graduated from college.
11. At thirty, I now can offer a big thank you to naturally oily skin. Oily skin, while you caused me grief as a teenager, I thank you now for warding off fine lines and wrinkles.
12. I can remember things that happened 15 years ago.
13. I am thankful that I have some amazing older friends and mentors (definitely including my mom!). These women have demonstrated that often wisdom comes with age. May it be so for me.
14. I have had thirty years worth of great life experiences. I wouldn't trade any of it to be younger.
15. There is a quality to some of my friendships that I have not known in the past. A few friends have over the years become family.
16. At 30, I don't feel guilty about going to bed at 9:30 occasionally. Where I used to believe sleep is for the weak, I now understand that sleep is for the healthy.
17. I can get excited over simple things. I got a red tea kettle for my birthday. I just love it.
18. At 30, I don't have to eat things I don't like. OK, once in a while I still do, but for the most part, at family dinners and otherwise, I simply pass on things that I'd rather not eat. (Some people figure out how to do this guilt-free well before 30, but this is when I achieved it, so I'm putting it on my list.)
19. At 30, I'm fine with being a home-body most of the time.
20. I am seven years into a great marriage. Couldn't say that at 18.
21. I remember when my mom turned 30. That seems like a long time ago, yet my mom still seems young to me.
22. I understand the importance of perspective better than I did when I was younger. This has helped me to become more gracious and compassionate.
23. I have learned to be realistic about what I expect from myself. Not that I don't have high expectations, I am just able to cut myself a little more slack than I used to. For example, I now know that there will never be a time when my bed is made every single day. It just isn't going to happen. I will enjoy the days when it does get made though--however rare that may be.
24. I appreciate and understand my parents more now than I did at 18. I truly enjoy the relationship that I have with them.
25. My friends span more generations than they ever have before. I have more appreciation for the life experiences of others.
26. I, along with my husband, get to make decisions about traditions and how I will celebrate holidays.
27. I get to go to the "Big O" picnic this year. (cheesy name but it is a picnic our church has each year to celebrate those celebrating birthdays that end in 0--10, 20, 30, 40, . . .
28. Of the people I admire most, nearly all of them are over 30.
29. At 30, I still have many dreams and ambitions, and now I get to experience them with my family. In fact, we are getting ready to chase one of my dreams in the next year.
30. I am old enough to know how young I really am and how much life I still have to live. I'm also old enough to appreciate those experiences more than I might have at a younger age.
Proud to be 30!
No comments:
Post a Comment