Friday, January 05, 2007

Wee, Wee, Wee

I love the conversations that take place in a house with a four year old and an almost two year old. I have always been one to enjoy the cute things kids say. When I was a younger and we lived far away from our relatives, I used to love hearing stories about my younger cousins. Phone calls home were expensive when we lived in Germany (I feel like I am telling a "back in the olden days" story), so my mom, my aunt, and my grandma would keep in touch by sending cassette tapes back and fourth filled with one sided conversations. Whenever my mom got a tape from my aunt, I would always ask if there were any funny kid stories about my cousins Nicholas, Tyler, and Vanessa. I was always kind of jealous that my aunt got to live in a house full of funny kid stories. It is fun to live in that kind of house myself now. Here are some of our latest conversations:

Scene 1 Grant and mommy hanging out and Grant hurts his toe:

Grant: Mommy, will you kiss my wee, wee, wee.

(Grant holds up his foot.)

Mommy: Do you mean your foot?

Grant: My little toe.

Mommy: Why is your little toe your wee, wee, wee?

Grant (touching each toe on his foot): This little piggy went to the market . . .

Scene 2 Mommy, Grant, and Sophia in the car taking Grant to gymnastics:

Sophia: Mommy, can I do gymnastics class?

Mommy: When you are four like Grant you can be in a gymnastics class.

Sophia (after thinking for a minute): I don't like one. I want want four. I four. (By this, she means she doesn't like being one, so she declares herself to be four.)

Grant (quick to correct his sister): No, Sophia. You're one. I'm four.

Sophia: I four!

(Scene continues with Grant and Sophia debating how old Sophia is. It is followed by a less than pleasant scene at gymnastics when Sophia throws a fit because she is not allowed to join Grant's class. Fortunatly, Travis arrives about ten minutes later to take Sophia home.)

Scene 3 Background: In my last post I mentioned that Sophia has an ear infection. She is a little better during the day at this point, but is not sleeping much at night. This leads to an exhausted mommy and a cranky Sophia. Scene takes place after an hour or so of Sophia being unpleasant and impossible to please.

Mommy: Sophia, are your ears hurting or are you just being a stinker?

Sophia: I just bein' a stinker.

No comments: