Yesterday as we were leaving church I pinched Sophia's chin in her carseat buckle. I was cold and in a hurry, and Sophia was doubled over in her seat reaching for something that was on the floor. Her chubby little chin fell victim to my haste as it got caught in the part of her carseat that snaps across her chest. Poor baby. I know it really hurt . . . left a red mark and everything.
Sophia is a kid who feels things deeply. When she's happy, she's very happy. When she's hurt, she's very hurt. If you happen to be the one who hurt her, she'll make you feel good and guilty. And good and guilty I felt yesterday as I tried to console my baby girl (without actually getting her out of her carseat). My consolation was worthless to Sophia. She cried and cried. She was already tired and hungry and now her mommy had pinched her chin. Time was the only thing that was going to ease Sophia's pain (well, time, lunch, and a nap). Since the comfort I offered was not actually comforting Sophia, I decided to go ahead and get in my seat of the car even though my poor injured daughter was still crying.
As we pulled out of the parking lot, Grant looked at Sophia and said with the most sympathetic tone, "Don't worry, Sophia. They'll make you happy someday."
1 comment:
HaHaHaHaHaHa
Excellent story.
Post a Comment